Applications are invited from Indian nationals including Persons of Indian Origins (PIOs) and Overseas Citizens of India (OCIs) and Foreign Nationals to the posts of Assistant Professor, in the Departments of Aerospace Engineering, Biological Sciences and Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Civil Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, Earth Sciences, Electrical Engineering, Humanities and Social Sciences, Industrial and Management Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Mathematics and Statistics.
Foreign national here means a person who does not have either an Indian passport, or a PIO/OCI card. Foreign nationals can be offered contractual appointment for up to five years. The appointment can be renewed thereafter.
Several Departments also participate in the teaching and research activities of interdisciplinary post-graduate programs in the institute in Photonics Science and Engineering, Nuclear Engineering and Technology, Environmental Engineering and Management, Design Program, and Materials Science Program. Appointments for these programs are made in the relevant departments among those listed above.
Minimum Qualification (for Assistant Professor): Ph.D. with first class or equivalent (in terms of grades, etc.) at the preceding degree in the appropriate branch, with a very good academic record in all preceding degrees.
Experience: For a fresh Ph.D., the position will be on contract basis for the first three years, and will be regularized afterwards. For those with three or more years of teaching/research/industrial experience regular appointment can be made.
Application forms for all the above positions may be filled (on-line) only.
Department specific areas of required specializations (PLEASE CLICK HERE)
The details of pay scale admissible at the time of joining are as follows:
Academic Grade Pay
Pay Band (Rs.)
Assistant Professor (Contract)
1. The pay carries all other allowances as admissible to a Central Government employee stationed at Kanpur.
2. The benefits, such as HRA (if Housing not provided), LTC, Medical re-imbursement, transportation allowance, education allowance for children, contribution towards New Pension Scheme (NPS), re-imbursement of limited Telephone expenses, Research initiation grant (up to Rs 25 lakhs), financial support towards National and International conferences etc. shall be permitted as per the Institute norms.
3. The Institute also provides an additional top-up salary of Rs 25,000- per month for the first three years of service to the newly joined faculty members. After three years of service, the faculty member(s) are eligible for Young Faculty Fellowship (open for faculty of age upto 40 years) providing a top-up salary of Rs.10,000- per month for three years. The position is based on performance.
4. The Institute provides housing on campus to all faculty members. The houses are equipped with free high speed internet. Further details are available at http://www.iitk.ac.in/dofa/faculty-benefits.
5. Reservation at entry level is applicable as per G.O.I. norms. The candidates belonging to the reserved category (SC/ST/OBC/PwD) are required to attach the Caste/Category Certificate in the format as prescribed by the Govt. of India. The Institute follows the Central list in the case of SC/ST and OBCs. The institute also encourages applications from qualified women candidates.
6. Mere eligibility will not entitle any candidate for being called for interview.
7. Applicants who are employed in Government or Semi-Government Organizations will be required to produce a “NO OBJECTION CERTIFICATE” from their employer at the time of the interview.
8. Candidates may apply for a position in more than one department by repeating the online application process.
9. Certificate and documentary proof should be uploaded alongwith application form.
All correspondence to be addressed to either to the Head of the concerned Department or to the Dean of Faculty Affairs. Contacts details of Heads of the Department are available in the Institute website: http://www.iitk.ac.in.
For any clarification please contact:
Office of Faculty Affairs
Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
Kanpur 208016 India.
Tel: +91-512-259-6327/ 6325/ 7204
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org