Indian Council of Philosophical Research
Darshan Bhawan, 36 Tughlakabad Institutional Area
M. B. Road, New Delhi – 110062
Applications are Invited for Junior Research Fellowship 2014 -15 (2nd Time)
The Indian Council of Philosophical Research (ICPR) invites application for Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) in Philosophy or its allied areas of study as specified below from eligible scholars against 44 available seats for the Batch / Year 2014-15. Those, who are already registered for Ph. D degrees in the concerned areas of study, can apply for the fellowship. Details of the fellowship, eligibility criteria, and modes of application, etc., are provided in herein. Prospective applicants have to send their filled-in-application form along with the necessary documents through Speed-Post (apart from sending the soft copy of the only filled-in-application-form through email).
Last date of Receiving Application is 31st October, 2014 (Friday). Tentative schedule of Test and Interview would be 1st week of December 2014.
The main objective of ICPR Fellowship Scheme is to promote research in philosophy and the related areas by providing fellowship and other opportunities to scholars, especially the young scholars, to help them engage on a whole time basis in research projects on the themes of their choice taken up for Ph. D., Degrees at different Universities/Institutions across India. The major areas of investigation identified by the Council in the field of philosophy and related disciplines are mentioned here.
The Council encourages research in the following major areas of investigation.
1. Theories of Truth and Knowledge.
2. Basic Values Embodied in Indian Culture and their relevance to National Reconstruction.
3. Normative Inquiries (Ethics and Aesthetics).
4. Interdisciplinary Inquiries (Ethics and Aesthetics).
5. Philosophy, Science and Technology.
6. Philosophy of Man and Environment.
7. Social and Political Philosophy and Philosophy of Law.
8. Comparative and Critical Study in the Philosophical Systems/Movements and Religion.
9. Logic, Philosophy of Mathematics and Philosophy of Language.
11. Philosophy of Education.
12. Philosophy of Social Sciences.
Junior Research Fellowship: Terms and Conditions and Eligibility Criteria
The fellowship carries a grant of Rs.16,000/- per month and a contingency grant of Rs.15,000/- per annum. There is no provision for pay protection in this category of fellowship.
The Junior Research Fellowships are awarded for a period of two years in support of Ph. D programmes in an affiliated educational / research institute/University recognized by Govt., of India. The fellowship is not available to the candidates pursuing M. Phil., degree/course/programme or in the cases where part or whole of a project / programme has been done in support of another fellowship.
The candidate for a Junior Research Fellowship should have secured at least 55 per cent marks in post-graduation.
Registration to Ph.D. programme in Philosophy or in the topic that comes under the areas of study given above is required to be eligible to avail this fellowship. Institutional affiliation is essential for Junior Research Fellowship.
Instructions and General Information:
1. Applications for the award of fellowships may be submitted in the prescribed format which will be scrutinized by a committee of the Council. After scrutiny, the eligible candidates are called for test and/or interview to assess the merit of the scholar and the project proposal.
2. Fellowship cannot be awarded to a person if he/she is availing any other fellowship from any other council of research / organization / body. Once a Fellow of the Council, the same person cannot apply for another fellowship in a span of five years from the date of acceptance of the earlier fellowship from the same Council of research.
3. ICPR Fellowship may not be given for the same project which was partly or wholly started in M.Phil or has been started or done partly or wholly or in half way with assistance of some other fellowships.
4. The candidate for a Junior Research Fellowship should have secured at least 55 per cent marks in post-graduation. This condition, however, is relaxable to the candidates where papers/articles have been published in reputed journal in philosophy.
5. Registration to Ph.D. programme in Philosophy or in the topic that comes under the areas of study given above is required to avail this fellowship. Institutional affiliation is essential for Junior Research Fellowship.
6. The fellowships are usually provided for a definite period of two years. However if the Final Manuscript under the fellowship is submitted to the affiliated institution and/or to the ICPR before the completion of two-years period, then the fellowship has to be closed by the same date of the submission. In such case of submission or in the case of seeking termination of the fellowship, the Fellow has to inform the ICPR forthwith. If the work under the fellowship is found publication worthy towards the end of the original term of the fellowship, the fellowship may be extended to the third year in such exceptional cases.
7. The Fellow has to furnish synopsis of his/her project proposal along with his/her application while applying, and submit 5 copies of the synopsis at the time of interview. The synopsis should not exceed 5 pages, and should sharply focus on the project exhibiting acquaintance with the problem and the question to be dealt with.
8. (a)The Council reserves the first right to publish manuscripts of the research work done under the fellowship programme by the awardees. In case the Council decides not to publish, then the Council may allow the awardees to get it published anywhere upon the desire of the awardees. In case, the fellow / awardees desires to publish the manuscript in the same or revised form, he/she should obtain permission for the same from the Council, but he/she will have to acknowledge that the research work was carried out under a fellowship provided by the Council. Acknowledgment to ICPR should prominently be made in a separate page / inside the Preface / Acknowledgment of the final manuscript / to be printed copy, which will be prepared containing the research done with or during the period of fellowships/grants from ICPR. (b) Acknowledgment to ICPR must also prominently be made in any publication that is brought out on research/presentation done with the help of and/or during the period of the ICPR fellowship/grant.
9. The award of the Fellowship is not restricted to the applicants only. The Council reserves the right to consider any person for Fellowship even if he/she may not have applied. Some conditions may be relaxable for the cases, where papers/articles have been published in reputed journal in philosophy which are considered by the selection committee. Reservation will be made for SC/ST/OBC/Physically Challenged candidates as per rules of Govt., of India and it is practiced in educational institutions.
10. The Council’s decision regarding the award of the fellowships and related matters is final.
11. The matters of fellowship will always be regulated by the terms and conditions and additions / revisions of the same, if any, as put up from time to time.
Instruction for Filling up the Application Form and Communicating to ICPR:
1. Preparation: Take a look at the application format, terms and conditions, general information and instructions. Prepare soft copy of all attachments and prepare Demand Draft of Rs. 50/- drawn in favour of ICPR, New Delhi. Please, prefer type-setting the format.
2. Filling the Format: The Application format is provided in MS Word format. Use the MS Word format. (a) Copy the application format and make a soft copy of the filled-in-application form as an MS Word File, in pages size A4, and type the data using Arial Narrow Fonts of 10 size in relevant fields. The format can also be filled up by using Hindi Script, which can be readable in any computer. You may also use transliteration, for mentioning the topic, if it is in Hindi or Sanskrit by using English script. Keep sufficient margins and make sure that the file can be opened up in any computer without changing the formatting and fonts. A PDF version of the same filled-in-application may also be prepared.
3. Sending the Application to ICPR: (a) Send the filled-in-application in word format / PDF format at the email address given below). (b) Take a Print out of the filled-in Application; (c) attach all the documents and DD; (d) take all the authorised signature on the filled-in-printed-application; (e) send the application by speed post to the Director (P&R) at the Council’s address.
Concerned personnel’s Email Id: firstname.lastname@example.org